I arrived on site just before 10am. Today the site superintendent makes the monthly plot inspections. I’ve been busy on the allotment this week and feel that I’ve done enough to show willing for the future.
Before the superintendent arrived I noticed that a large amount of plastic, wood and a window frame had been dumped on my plot. The task today was to strim but my time had to be taken up cleaning the plot first. I don’t know who dumped this rubbish but I didn’t appreciate it, especially as rules state that nobody should enter another plot without the express permission of the plot holder. So for now my attention had to be diverted.
Earlier this week I removed the rose from the side of the shed. Now I have a nice little bed and even though this is the planned spot for the compost bins, for the time being it can take a few flowers to brighten up the corner and also show the site superintendent that I’m committed to this plot.
You may remember that early in the season I sowed a tray of Helichrysum (Everlasting strawflowers) in the greenhouse. These are now big enough to have a home of their own so I brought three large pots with me this morning.
Next to these I planted three Ladybird Poppy plants. I first saw these a few weeks ago at BBC Gardeners’ World Live at the NEC in Birmingham. They already have little buds showing and if the warm weather continued then I wouldn’t be surprised if they will flower in a week or two.
The superintendent arrived and enquired how progress was. I got the sense that there was a feeling of “is it all a bit too much” but seeing as I’ve only recently taken the plot on and the health issues which I’ve previously spoken about, then I’m happy with the progress anyhow. I’ve paid for the year so I’m happy to work it until next Spring and see where I am then. If I decided that I’ve only made it down to three quarters of the site then I’ll happily give up a few feet but until then I’ve paid for the whole plot so I’ll work it. Maybe I should pin my allotment plan to my shed to calm the fears of the superintendent.
After removing the unwanted rubbish from the plot I gave the whole site another strimming, the third this week. As soon as the black plastic sheeting arrives in a few weeks I will lay it from the bottom to the top, turning over 6ft at a time to weed. So hopefully by the next plot inspection in August there should be a reassuring smile from the superintendent – here’s hoping anyhow, because gardening is about being relaxed, not thinking that someone is always looking over your shoulder waiting to criticise. At least I can look back over this diary and see what progress I’ve made.