A busy month on the allotment with sowing seeds, building growing structures, keeping the weeds down and moving plants from the greenhouse/coldframe to the open ground. Can also be a warm month so the added pressure of regular visits to keep everything watered may also be required. Comparing the start of the month to the end are dramatic. Daylight remains until 9pm and the dawn chorus starts to become richer with more body.
Temperatures can reach over 45c (113f) in the greenhouse and in coldframes. Keep the doors and ventures open and throw a bucket of cold water over the floor to cool the atmosphere.
WHAT CAN BE SOWN IN MAY
- Growing Parsnips – How to Grow Parsnips
- Growing Broad (Fava) Beans – How to Grow Broad Beans
- Growing Beetroot – How to Grow Beetroot
- Growing Carrots – How to Grow Carrots
- Growing Tomatoes – How to Grow Tomatoes
- Growing Turnips – How to Grow Turnips
- Growing Runner Beans – How to Grow Runner Beans
- Sowing Sweetcorn